On March 28, the Connect at Breakfast program discussed how to select talent and how assessment tools and strategies can build the right team. The guest speakers were Michelle Clark, PhD, President, Psychological Associates; Lynn Davis, SPHR, Chief Talent Officer, RubinBrown LLP; and Ron Green, Scout Executive and CEO, Boy Scouts of America Greater St. Louis Council.
Key takeaways from their presentations:
- The cost of hiring the wrong person, from lower productivity, employee impact, and reduced client satisfaction, will exceed the annual salary of that position.
- Hiring assessments provide data that undermine biases from in-person interviews and identify skills and personality traits that best match the position and a company’s culture.
- Plot your employees on a grid based on degrees of potential and performance. Use workplace assessment and personality assessments to identify these their place on the 9-Box Grid.
- Create an organizational “depth” chart that allows your company to quickly fill positions when talent leaves. Developing the second and third string will directly impact the growth of your firm.
- Share assessments with your managers to improve their skills and help them better relate to their staff. Share assessment data with employees and work with them to improve their weaknesses.
- Millennials are used to frequent feedback; assessments can help promote their personal and professional growth.
After the presentation, Clay Hildebrand, Senior Vice President - Sales and Marketing, Psychological Associates announced that Chamber members can now receive a discount on Psychological Associates’ assessment tools and services.
Our next Connect at event will occur at the St. Louis Fashion Fund Incubator in downtown St. Louis from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on April 20. Registration information will be coming soon.
Pictured from left to right: Ron Green, Scout Executive and CEO, Boy Scouts of America Greater St. Louis Council; Michelle Clark, PhD, President, Psychological Associates; Lynn Davis, SPHR, Chief Talent Officer, RubinBrown LLP; and Clay Hildebrand, Senior Vice President - Sales and Marketing, Psychological Associates