Michael Macek, Director St. Louis Zoo
Home to over 13,000 animals representing 555 species, the Saint Louis Zoo is recognized worldwide for its innovative approaches to animal care and management, wildlife conservation, research, and education. One of the few free zoos in the nation, the Saint Louis Zoo attracts approximately 3 million visitors annually and is the most-visited attraction in the region. Accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), the Saint Louis Zoo is part of an elite group of institutions that meet the highest standards in animal care as well as provide fun, safe and educational family experiences. The Saint Louis Zoo and the other AZA-accredited institutions collectively dedicate millions of dollars annually to support scientific research, conservation and education programs. For more information, visit stlzoo.org.
In this episode we discuss:
The Zoo's social media channels and website channels step up in the wake of shelter in place. They’ll do their best to share stories, photos, videos and educational activities - follow #BringTheStlZooToYou.
- stlzoo.org/blog (the blog will include all posts from social media)
- twitter.com/stlzoo @stlzoo
Some of the most popular animal videos (these and much more are at www.stlzoo.org/blog)
- Penguins get weighed https://youtu.be/oN0XBY8hFnA
- Penguins go on a field trip https://youtu.be/gz2_GRIWYTc
- Alpacas go on a field trip https://youtu.be/z9S3zU1Cg1Y
- Keeper perspective - closeup with animals: https://youtu.be/s_J3kk0ywZo
- Sea lion training https://youtu.be/ElAjvcZgQTI
- Full YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB3yg2N4YUC2l-449v9Y0cRqUOJ8kMrAF
More live webcams are now available from the Saint Louis Zoo thanks to Mid America Chevy Dealers. You can now watch our polar bear, grizzly bears, seals and sea lions, and gorillas on a rotating webcam. Look for a different 24-hour stream starting at 9 a.m. every day. Visit stlzoo.org/livewebcams.
- Sunday: Gorillas at Jungle of the Apes
- Monday: Polar bear at McDonnell Polar Bear Point
- Tuesday: Grizzly bears at Centene Grizzly Ridge
- Wednesday: Gorillas at Jungle of the Apes
- Thursday: California sea lions and harbor seals at Judy and Jerry Kent Family Sea Lion Sound
- Friday: Polar bear at McDonnell Polar Bear Point
- Saturday: Grizzly bears at Centene Grizzly Ridge
- Daily: Penguins at Penguin & Puffin coast (9 a.m. to 5 p.m. only)
Educational webinars, activities, classes and ZOOms
Who: Teachers, families, students and adults
What: Learn about our amazing Zoo, conservation efforts, ways to help animals and more!
How: Games, classes, tours, shows, activities and lectures
Why: To learn. To connect. To smile. To inspire.
When: New videos and content are loaded each Monday. Check back weekly!
- Conservation learning: www.stlzoo.org/conservationlearning
- Sidewalk chalk art https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf3JMJwjZbs
- Backyard explorations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIpRYMg213E&list=PLB3yg2N4YUC26xfgNthsPW8WgMGItkAsI&index=12&t=0s
STLZOOm educational webinars. Monday through Friday at 10 a.m. on Zoom:
Join one of the Zoo's Educators from their homes to learn more about animals and how amazing they are. If you can't join us live on Zoom, we will make a recording available here and on our YouTube channel after. Some examples below
American sign language animal alphabet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymuVsXtzI1w&list=PLB3yg2N4YUC3Rx9Ki0Z3JtPRfnx4K6hHN&index=14&t=0s
Frogs and toads iNaturalist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vscaTIh93uo&list=PLB3yg2N4YUC3Rx9Ki0Z3JtPRfnx4K6hHN&index=7&t=0s